Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Update

Now for an update! Since my last post, five months ago, I have gone through a few changes. My GP (gastroparesis) has gotten quite a bit worse and I've had some trouble keeping up with my online workload. I've all but stopped working for any of my previously recommended companies. Don't get me wrong, they are awesome opportunities for those who have the right skill set, but they are also time demanding.

What I have decided to do instead for some supplemental income is to start selling some of my crafts via the internet. First off, I have tried to sell on Etsy. Great site, great exposure, but I have found that it is nearly impossible to sell there without spending more money than you're putting into it. The fees are low, and for most totally affordable. But for me, who wasn't selling anything, paying .20 per item is costing me more money than I'm making. I don't want my items there just for the looks of them. 

Next I listed my items which are becoming more numerous, on a facebook page. I haven't sold anything yet, but I have made some swaps, and I've had a lot more inquiries. Through the virtual marketplace on FB, I don't have to pay any fees and my page can be passed around by my friends. I find this to be a little more manageable than Etsy. I can also sell my items a little cheaper, due to not having listing fees to pay.

This is just my first step, as I'm sure I won't make very much selling online at first. I'm planning to take some of my items to our local flea market, The Jockey Lot. In my head it seems more logical that I will sell more in a setting where my customers can see my crafts in person.  This will have to wait for cooler weather, though, because I don't want my face to melt. :)

Since I am new to the whole selling thing, I would love to hear your tips and tricks for being successful online. Where do you sell? What really makes a difference? How do you promote? 

Once I get more items listed, I plan to do some giveaways. Stick with me for more info. Also, I have a logo in the works. 

No comments:

Post a Comment