Monday, April 18, 2011

The Manic-Henna Project

So I was bored and remembered that I had a stash of henna powder left in my freezer from the last time I dyed my hair. I really love the color that the henna makes my hair as well as the way it makes it feel. My hair has never been so shiny and frizz free. OK...I'm beginning to sound like an advertisement.

On to the point. Even though the henna gives me a beautiful auburn color, I reallllllllly miss my Vampire Red. I feel so ordinary with average hair. I need a color to brighten my mood everytime I look in the mirror. If the Vampire Red wasn't so hard to keep up, I would do my whole head that shade. Guess what? I happen to also have a bottle of my go-to exotic red. :)

I have read a good bit on the subject and I've found that Manic Panic is really the only hair dye that you can actually mix into your henna safely. This is experimental, but I'm thinking that the lawsone in the henna will help to bind the pigments from the Manic Panic into the shaft of my hair. Thus attaining a much longer lasting, not so dull red hair. You have to love my kitchen chemistry antics.

Normally I would put my henna mixture on my hair, apply heat, then sleep on it for about sixish hours. I'm not that patient tonight. I think I'll let it sit for a couple of hours, maybe longer if I find something to occupy my time. I hope I don't end up with only red roots. That would make for a very sad Crystal. Update later on whether this works or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment